The Carlisle Mosquito Online

Friday, October 22, 2010

Police spot housebreak, suspect nabbed after swimming river

A coordinated area police action last Wednesday afternoon, October 13, concluded with the dramatic capture and arrest of David Rogers, 20, of Derry, New Hampshire, after Rogers swam across the Concord River to elude police in a chase that started in Carlisle and ended in Billerica. A contingent of Billerica police and dogs tracked him until he was arrested on Dudley Road in Billerica around 3:30 p.m. that afternoon.

Rogers was arraigned in Lowell District court on Thursday on charges including attempting to commit a crime, burglary, malicious destruction of property over $250 and resisting arrest. He was held without bail. As of Wednesday afternoon there were known outstanding warrants for his arrest in Haverhill, Wilmington and Salem, N.H. A search of his residence by Derry police on September 26 yielded around 1,100 pieces of jewelry. According to a Billerica police spokesman he has been linked to “housebreaks all over the area.” Andover police reported after the arrest that they were also looking for him.

Carlisle officer catches burglar at the scene

It all started when Carlisle Police Inspector Andy Booth was on patrol near the Billerica line and heard a burglar alarm. He decided to investigate and saw a man with a metal object (later determined to be a crowbar) in his backpack as Rogers emerged from the window of the house on Treble Cove Road in Billerica. Booth proceeded to arrest Rogers and “was right up next to him” with handcuffs when Rogers broke away and ran off through the woods toward Dudley Road and the Concord River. At 1:55 p.m. Booth abandoned the chase to report a burglary in progress. Meanwhile, Rogers had jumped in the river and swam across it. Billerica police, alerted by Booth’s call, had a welcoming committee on the opposite shore, including their canine unit, with dogs Diesel and Barek. After a short pursuit through marsh grass and woods, Billerica police caught up with Rogers about 3:30 p.m. and arrested him. He was held without bail and arraigned in the Lowell District Court the following day.

© 2010 The Carlisle Mosquito