The Carlisle Mosquito Online

Friday, October 23, 2009

Resident’s 911 call helps police get their man

An alert resident noticed a dark green Jeep driving up and down driveways on Laurelwood Drive Monday, October 19 in the morning and immediately called the police to give them the car’s plate numbers. Lt. Crowe was in the police cruiser on East Street at the time and saw a jeep-like vehicle make a quick right on to East Meadow Lane. He stopped the car, checked the registration, noted that the plate numbers and car matched the description given for the vehicle reported on Laurelwood Drive. The operator, a 37-year-old Lynn resident, was found to be operating with a suspended license and was arrested for that offense at 11:18 a.m. He had a record of prior arrests, one in Sturbridge and one in Lynn for the same offense. Since arrest is mandatory for that offense, he was taken into custody to the Concord court. The other occupant of the car was a 26-year-old man from Lynn, who was not charged.

Crowe said later that he felt the two had no legitimate reason to be in town going up and down driveways, and that the situation looked very much like the two were looking for an opportunity to break into a house. However, there was no evidence to warrant such a charge and none was made.

Milne Cove incident linked?

On Tuesday, October 20, Crowe’s suspicions about the green jeep and its occupants were given more weight. At about 2 p.m. a Milne Cove Road resident called the police to report a suspicious event that had happened at her residence the day before and involved a green Jeep. On Monday morning around 11 a.m. she heard a light knocking at her front door and she saw a green Jeep in the drive she did not recognize. She did not answer the door and the knocking stopped and then resumed as determined banging on the door. She went to her kitchen and saw an unknown man at the slider door. She opened the door and went out to ask what he wanted and immediately a second man appeared. They asked directions to Nashua Road and left together.

Later on Tuesday she came to the station and made an official report of the matter. Again, there was no evidence to substantiate a charge of attempted breaking and entering. ∆

© 2009 The Carlisle Mosquito