Friday, October 2, 2009
A milestone not to fear
It’s been a year since I celebrated my 60th birthday. I won’t say that I hadn’t approached this milestone with a little of trepidation. (Okay – a lot.) But in the intervening months, I’ve found that most of those fears were clearly misplaced. In fact, I’ve discovered many, many reasons why turning 60 isn’t so bad after all. Here are the top ten:
- 10. Tickets at the Lowell Cinema are discounted, so you can see the next blockbuster, without breaking the bank.
- 9. Haircuts take half the time as when you were 20.
- 8. If you don’t want to do something unpleasant or boring, you can just say “I forgot” and everyone will believe you.
- 7. You’re still 25 years away from having to retake your driver’s test.
- 6. No one expects you to know what Twitter is, much less how to use it.
- 5. You still have time to work your butt off to climb up the next level on your career path, but you don’t want to.
- 4. You’re pretty sure global warming’s worst effects aren’t going to happen in your lifetime.
- 3. Falling asleep half-way through a documentary on the mating habits of Arctic ground squirrels is considered acceptable behavior.
- 2. Your wife stops asking you to go up on a ladder to clean the gutters and starts begging you to not go up on the ladder.
- 1. It’s better to be turning 60 than to be turning over in your grave. ∆
© 2009 The