Friday, October 10, 2008
Middle School social code
Middle School Principal Joyce Mehaffey presented a new code of social behavior to the Carlisle School Committee (CSC) on October 1. She said the new rules were created by the fifth- through eighth-grade students, facilitated by seventh-grade Special Educator Tracy Malone and School Counselor Kim Reid. Mehaffey explained that the process involved having student representatives from each grade level get together to pare down a large list of rules that the students had created in homerooms. “They honed them down to these five,” said Mehaffey, adding, “They also titled it. We’re going to put it on poster-size [paper] for all the students to see and sign so every middle school student will actually sign this document. We’re going to put it in every classroom.”
“That is excellent,” said CSC member Wendell Sykes.
The student-generated social code is:
Our School – Our Choice
• A place for peaceful, respectful learning.
• We treat others the way we want to be treated.
• We accept people for who they are on the inside, and we look for ways to include everyone.
• We go out of our way to help people and to be positive, polite and friendly.
• We think about how our actions affect others.
• We stand up for others and speak up for what we believe. ∆
© 2008 The