The Carlisle Mosquito Online

Friday, August 1, 2008

A cyclist’s viewpoint

To the Editor:

While I reside in Cambridge, I work in Concord and am a regular cyclist through your town several mornings each week as I train for my yearly commitment to the Pan Mass Challenge.

I enjoy the tranquility and beauty of your town very much but was incredibly dismayed by a sign I saw on the side of Concord Street last week, presumably put up by the Carlisle Police Department stating that “All bicycle laws will be enforced” and that “All riders please ride single file and be safe.” Signs like these do nothing more than exacerbate the notion that motor vehicle drivers “own the road.”

While I understand that some cyclists who ride two and three abreast create a problem on the roads, a majority of the bicycle-car issues arise from aggressive drivers who feel that cyclists have no place on the roads. And while I say that, it is with the caveat that 99% of the motor vehicle drivers aren’t the problem, the other 1% are. With the popularity of cycling ever increasing, especially with more folks commuting via bicycle due to higher fuel costs, cyclists and drivers need to co-exist on the roadways. A sign with more of a “share the road” tone would have been much more effective. Most cyclists do everything possible to stay safe and allow cars to get around them and it is the cyclist who usually bears the painful and expensive brunt of any collision with a motor vehicle. Reckless drivers who get annoyed that they may have to slow down for a few seconds are our worst enemy while riding.

It is my hope that signs like these would come down immediately and that the Police Department would enforce both the bicycle laws and the vehicle laws, equally and fairly, and not force cyclists off of your roads because they feel unsafe and unprotected by the police.

Kevin Nowak

Cambridge, Massachusetts

Volunteers make Art at the Gleason possible

To the Editor: The Art at the Gleason program hosts six art shows per year. Shows range from photographs, to shadow boxes, sculpture, and fiber arts, to projects from the Carlisle public schools art program. While many people enjoy these changing shows, I want to highlight how truly lucky we are to have this program and encourage others to visit the library to view each new show. There is much work that goes on to plan, select and work with the artists, hang and publicize each show.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank Andrea Urban, Brooke Cragan, and Shirley Scarlett for their efforts these past and current years ensuring that the Gleason Public Library provides this cultural service to the people of Carlisle. In addition, I would like to thank Barbara Lewis and Elizabeth Parsons for the delicious treats they provide for the art receptions held for each show. Finally, I would like to thank the Friends of the Gleason Public Library for their support of this important program. The Art at the Gleason program is volunteer led and run, and a portion of the proceeds from the sale of art goes back to the program. If you would like to learn more about the Art at the Gleason program, go to gleasonlibrary.org, Events, and Art at the Gleason or sign up for the Library enewsletter at the library’s website.

Angela Mollet

Library Director
Billerica seeks public input on power plant proposal

To the Editor:

During the Billerica Conservation Commission meeting Wednesday, July 16, Chairwoman Jo Ann Giovino welcomed wetlands and stormwater management concerns from the public as pertains to the Billerica power plant proposal. All concerns including noise, vibration, groundwater contamination, wildlife impacts and any special knowledge of the site should be submitted to: jdepper-nash@town.billerica.ma.us.

Additional information about the proposal is available at www.BillericaPowerPlant.org. BillericaPowerPlant.org is a neighbor-based opposition group focused on outreach and generating awareness of the proposal to build a 348MW fossil fuel-burning power plant in North Billerica, on the borders of Tewksbury, Lowell and Chelmsford.

Paige Impink,

Geddes Drive, Tewksbury

Co-Founder BillericaPowerPlant.org


© 2008 The Carlisle Mosquito