Friday, May 4, 2007
· Daniel Canina of Martin Street, a CCHS senior, is one of 22 scholar-athletes to be honored at the Jack Grinold Eastern Massachusetts Chapter of the National Football Foundation on May 14. Canina was selected for this award based on football, academics and extra-curricular activities. "These young men are the best in the classroom and on the football field," writes the Boston Globe sports page.
Not only is Canina a standout on the football field but, as captain of the CCHS track team, he excels at discus and shotput.
Canina will attend Williams College in the fall.
· Nicholas Opolski, grade nine, made the honor roll for the third quarter at Austin Preparatory School.
· Lena Stein of Rodgers Road, an eighth-grader at the Carlisle School, is singing in the Boston City Singers concert chorus on May 20 at 7 p.m. at the Church of Our Saviour, 25 Monmouth Street, Brookline. Admission is $20 per person, with the proceeds to benefit Boston City Singers. To learn more, call 1-617-825-0674 or visit www.bostoncitysingers.org.
She will also be a part of the BCS Tour Chorus which travels to Australia and New Zealand this summer.
· Mary Roberts of Feng Shui Options on North Road and board member of the Massachusetts Chapter of the International Feng Shui Guild gave a panel presentation on Five Element Theory to architects and designers at Residential Design 2007, a convention at Boston's Seaport and World Trade Center featuring workshops on new technologies and services that have emerged in the residential design and construction industry over the past decade. Since 2004, Roberts has been a regular speaker at Residential Design and Build Boston, a convention tradeshow sponsored by the Boston Society of Architects/AIA.
· Friends of Adrian Martinez celebrated what would have been his 23rd birthday at the Emerson Track on Monday.Over200 people gathered to remember Adrian, who collapsed and died after a soccer game last summer. Martinez was a graduate of the CCHS class of 2002 and Williams College Class of 2006. He was an avid and accomplished runner and athlete who loved learning andspending time with friends and family. A scholarship has been established in Adrian's memory through the CC Scholarship fund.For information: www.ccscholarshipfund.org.
· Alison Probolus of Munroe Hill and a group of 16 students from Endicott College spent their spring break in New Orleans working in houses of disabled residents to help them begin the rebuilding process. They worked with Helping Hands of Catholic Charities and completely gutted four houses in five days. After a week of hard dirty work, Alison said she felt it was but a drop in the bucket of what remains to be done.
Barbara Bjornson of Prospect Street on the death of her mother Florence M. "Tilda" (Fritzsche) Pacl, 92, of West Tisbury, Massachusetts. She died on April 28 in Carlisle.
Save the date
On Sunday, June 24, at 3 p.m., Carlisle Boy Scout Troop 135 will hold an Eagle Scout Court of Honor at the Corey Auditorium for its newest Eagle Scouts: Oliver Bojanic, Basil Bourque, Evan Carpenito, Timothy Galligan, Peter Stone and David Tobin.Members of the community and fellow Eagle Scouts are invited to attend as these young men receive the Boy Scouts of America's highest honor.
© 2007 The Carlisle Mosquito