Friday, February 9, 2007
Brick-end House is part of Carlisle's history
According to local historian Martha Fifield Wilkins, whose "Notebooks" in the 1930s chronicled old Carlisle families and houses, the Brick-end House was built around 1780 by Jonathan Heald, a descendant of one of the town's founding families. In its earliest days, the house was probably a tavern, perhaps run by the Heald or Nutting families.
Jonathan Heald, Jr. was one of 15 children born to Jonathan and Betsy Heald; all the children were born in the "Jock" House that once stood next door to the Brick-end and was moved across South Street and remains Carlisle's oldest house. The younger Heald succeeded his father as owner.
The legendary Captain Horace Waldo Wilson bought the Brick-end, the "Jock" House, the stable and 100 surrounding acres in 1910 and built the Wilson Stock Farm. Captain Wilson was married to Sarah Parkhurst, a Heald descendant, and they used the Brickend as their residence. Their adopted son, Ernest, and his wife Nettie were the parents of Waldo and Ethlyn Wilson — Waldo Wilson grew up to be Carlisle's long-serving fire chief. Wilson was the father of Carlisle's Town Clerk, Sarah Andreassen, who died in 2003.
In 1928 Dr. Lawrence Lund, a psychiatrist, bought the entire Wilson property, renovated the barn, and established Valleyhead, a private sanitarium. He used the Brick-end House as his home and made extensive renovations while preserving its beautiful interior.
In the 1930s, Wilkins described the Brick-end House as a "Colonial mansion with a hip roof, this being the only building in Carlisle with a roof of this kind." The house had been converted to "two tenements" during Captain Wilson's tenure and today, tenants occupy the two apartments. The house is owned by H. Larue Renfroe, president and owner of Assurance Technology, who bought the South Street complex in 1979.
© 2007 The Carlisle Mosquito