Friday, June 23, 2006
Robert W. Martens Longtime Carlisle resident
Visiting hours and services will be held at the Joseph Dee & Son Funeral Home, 27 Bedford Street, Concord Center. Please call 1-978-369-2030 or visit www.deefuneralhome.com for date and time of service.
A more complete obituary will appear in next week's paper.
Jody Isaacs of Russell Street and her family on the death of her father, Shelly Blechman, long-time resident of Newcastle, Maine, who passed away after a long illness on June 19.
The Mosquito salutes our college graduates
• Sydney Caroline Holleman of Overlook Drive graduated cum laude with a bachelor of science degree from Catawba College in Salisbury, North Carolina.
• Sarah Jane Spence of Carroll Drive earned her bachelor of arts degree, summa cum laude, from Gettysburg College. Spence received departmental honors and is a member of Phi Beta Kappa Society.
• Laura Watson of North Road graduated with honors from Trinity College in Hartford, Connecticut, with a major in Women, Gender and Sexuality and a minor in French. In addition, she completed all pre-med requirements. Watson played on the softball team all four years and was one its co-captains in her senior year. She was selected to the 2005-06 New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC) softball team. In addition to softball, Watson was active all four years in the Trinity College Student Activities Committee, worked in the admissions department and was active in a sorority on campus.
• Liam McNeil of Munroe Hill Road graduated from Trinity College with a bachelor of arts degree in Economics. While at Trinity, McNeil was president of the Newman Club, treasurer of the Republican Club and performed and sold his original music on campus. He also spent a semester abroad at Trinity College's Rome campus.
• Jason Hult of Audubon Lane graduated from Davidson College with a bachelor of arts degree in History. In the fall, Hult will be teaching in Harlem, in the Teach for America program.
• Peter Lucier of North Road graduated magna cum laude from the University of San Diego School of Law. He was elected to the Order of the Coif. In September, he will begin working at the Orange County office of Ross, Dixon & Bell, in the areas of Insurance Law and Complex Litigation. Lucier is a graduate of CCHS and Pomona College.
• Evlyn Drew of Bedford Road received a bachelor of arts degree from American University's College of Arts and Sciences. She is a graduate of Northfield Mount Hermon High School.
• Christina Fiorentino of Aaron Way graduated from SUNY College at Oneonta with a bachelor's degree with high honors in Apparel and Textile and with an associate's degree in Fashion Merchandising Management from the Fashion Institute of Technology. She has accepted a position as Product Manager/Assistant Designer for Daywear and Sport for the Wal-Mart account with Ariela-Alpha International Intimates of New York City.
• Jeff Luoma of Palmer Way graduated cum laude from St. Mary's College of Maryland with a bachelor of arts degree in History and Political Science. He was a member of the school's lacrosse team throughout his four years. Luoma will attend Georgetown Law School in the fall.
• Elizabeth Mollo-Christensen of Fifty Acre Way graduated magna cum laude with a bachelor of arts degree in geobiology from Colby College. She was on the Dean's List, received Distinction in her major and is a member of Phi Beta Kappa.
• Melissa Hinton of East Street graduated from Worcester Polytechnic Institute on May 20. She earned a bachelor of science degree in Civil Engineering and is working as an engineer with Gilbane Construction. Hinton holds memberships in Alpha Gamma Delta Sorority, Rho Lambda Women's Leadership Society, Order of Omega Leadership Honor Society, Society of Women Engineers, Panhellenic Council and the President's Advisory Council. She played women's rugby and was an Admissions Intern and an active member of the Student Alumni Association.
Former Carlisle athlete named Boston Globe's All-Scholastic Girls' Lacrosse Coach of the Year
Jodi Dolan, formerly Jodi Paglia, the daughter of Richard and Marie Paglia of East Riding Drive, was one of two coaches named 2006 Lacrosse Coach of the Year. Dolan, who lives in Hopkinton, has been coaching lacrosse at the Hopkinton High School since its inaugural season six years ago, when it had a record of 0-17-1. This year with a record of 18-4-0, the team lost 15-14 to Duxbury in MIAA Division 2 South semifinals. Dolan also coaches JV field hockey at the school. Incidentally, the other woman named Lacrosse Coach of the Year, Debbie DeJesus of Lincoln-Sudbury High School, who had grown up in Lincoln playing sports, was an opponent of Jodi's on the opposite side of the ballfield starting as far back as eighth grade.
Like other children in the Paglia family, Jodi was into sports at an early age. At CCHS, from which she graduated in 1981, she played basketball, softball and field hockey. While at Tufts University getting a bachelor's degree in 1985, she played on the lacrosse team. Jodi received both a bachelor's and a master's degree in Occupational Therapy from Tufts.
Jodi lives with her husband, George, and their four children in Hopkinton. Jodi's daughter Jamie, a freshman, was a member of her team.
Students on the Dean's List and Honor Roll
• Jessica Kimbrell of Maple Street, a student at Middlesex Community College has been named to Phi Theta Kappa, the national honor society for two-year colleges.
• James Ford of Cross Street was named to the Dean's List at Quinnipiac University in Hamden, Connecticut, for the fall semester, 2005.
• Florian Christopher Schueller of Hartwell Road was named to the Dean's List for the fall term, 2005, at Bentley College.
• Beatrice Kim of Martin Street, a junior at New York University, was named to the Dean's List for the spring semester.
• Maya Gupta of Ledgeways has been named to the Dean's List for her sophomore year at the University of Pennsylvania. Gupta has been designated a Benjamin Franklin Scholar at the school. She is a 2004 graduate of Concord Academy and a graduate of Nashoba Brooks School in Concord.
• Laura Halvorsen of Pine Brook Road was named to the Dean's List at Hamilton College in Clinton, New York.
• Dana Tsakos of Carlisle Pines Road, a junior political science major at Quinnipiac University, completed a semester-long internship with Connecticut Representative Patricia Dillon through the Connecticut's Legislative Internship Program.
• Thomas Brennan of Bedford Road graduated from St. Sebastian's School in Needham.
• Patrick Brennan of Bedford Road and Connor Smith of Hartwell Road, juniors at St. Sebastian School, received Book Awards for their achievements during the 2005-06 school year. Smith also received a Memorial Award for excellence in modern and classical languages.
• Reginald F. Halstrom of River Road graduated from St. John's Preparatory School in Danvers.
© 2006 The Carlisle Mosquito