Friday, April 28, 2006
Friends of COA hold annual meeting at former Red Lion Tavern
The Friends of the Carlisle Council on Aging held their annual meeting and 12th anniversary celebration at the home of Janet Lovejoy on West Street on Sunday, April 23. Approximately 50 people attended and heard Carlisle's Larry Sorli, an architect with an interest in historic preservation of 18th- and 19th-century vernacular architecture, give a talk on the Lovejoy homestead. The house dates back to 1771 when it was a Revolutionary tavern (the Red Lion Tavern), built by Captain John Heald, and served travelers on the road from Concord to Groton. Lovejoy described early family memories in her historic home and later joined Sorli in giving a tour of all the rooms in the house.
The Friends of the COA was organized in 1994 as a non-profit corporation. The founders recognized the need to supplement town funds and state grants in order to make growing older in Carlisle a more viable option. During the past year, the Friends have provided funds for fuel assistance, Town Aid to Elderly, medical services and equipment, blood pressure clinics, large-print books and books-on-tape to the Gleason Library, COA luncheons and men's breakfasts, fitness programs, van maintenance and repair and cultural and wellness programs. All this is available to seniors as a result of the donations made to the Annual Fund Drive and to the Lee Milliken Fund, which is used to sponsor cultural lecture series at the library and to provide food certificates to the needy.
© 2006 The Carlisle Mosquito