The Carlisle Mosquito Online

Friday, March 24, 2006

Share your information with friends and neighbors. Call Marilyn Harte, 1-978-369-2044, e-mail us at or drop a note at Ferns or Box 616


Alicia Taylor weds Jonathan Willard

Ferris and Karen Taylor of Draper, Utah, formerly of Hemlock Hill Road, are pleased to announce the marriage of their daughter, Alicia Taylor, to Jon Willard. Alicia and Jon were married on Saturday, July 30, 2005, in a mountain meadow ceremony at Log Haven in Millcreek Canyon, Utah. Jon is the son of Bert and Sylvia Willard of Bellows Hill Road. Alicia was attended by her sister, Soni Taylor, as maid of honor, and her four nieces, Addison, Copelyn and Brooklyn Taylor and McKayla Taylor, as flower girls. Jon was attended by his friend, Hilary Nicholas-Alexander, as best friend of the groom. The couple honeymooned outside of Park City in Timberlake, Utah.

Alicia is a Kindergarten Extended Day Teacher at Miller Elementary School in Westford and Jon is a Middle School Aide at the Carlisle Public School. Alicia and Jon reside in Carlisle.

· Jocelyn DiFazio of Bedford Road was among 32 Minuteman Regional High School students who captured medals at the recent SkillsUSA Central District competition held at Diman Regional Vocational Technical High School in Fall River, Massachusetts.

Joceyln claimed a gold medal in Commercial Baking.

The district contest consists of two written tests: one assessing knowledge in a student's career major and the other assessing SkillsUSA organizational knowledge.

The Camping Trip

Boy Scout Troop 135 goes camping on Cape Cod. Front row (left to right) are Andrew Doig, Larry White, Alex Doig, Brendan Nunan and Daniel Tocci. Back row: Peter Tocci, Bruce Hitchner, Robert Hitchner, Matthew Koski, Scott Doig, Peter Ryder, Kieran Nunan and Alison Thompson. (Courtesy photo)

Our camping trip to Sandy Neck the weekend of March 11 and 12 was very interesting and lots of fun. It wasn't one of our typical trips where we drive to a mountain for a weekend of hiking and camping. On this trip, we went to Cape Cod to the beach where we hiked and camped. Once we got there on Saturday morning, we parked our car and headed out a little ways away from the beach. We hiked for about four miles. We couldn't carry all of our water and logs for firewood with us, so a very nice park ranger took them to our campsite in his truck. We had limited water because we didn't have filters for the salt water, and we didn't want to drink the water without the filters.

Saturday was very hot, at least for March. We hiked for a good way and then took a break. Lucky for us we were hiking on a flat trail and not trying to hike uphill. When we got to the campsite, we set up our tents. Then we started to work on rank advancement which involved setting up our campfire and working with our stoves. Around 5:30, we started to make dinner. There were four patrols on the trip but we combined into two patrols for dinner. Each patrol brought their own food and cooking utensils. Some of the older Scouts brought steak and needed a very big fire. The younger Scouts, including me, worked on building fires of our own — a requirement for rank advancement. We went over to the big fire, and the older Scouts ate their steak They had already eaten a lot, so they shared some with us. The fire was so hot that it was still smoking in the morning!

In the morning, we had oatmeal and hot chocolate for breakfast. The Scouts went on a hike in the woods while some of the dads stayed at the campfire to conserve their energy for the hike out. When we got back, we put everything that we needed to bring out on our backs. We emptied the last of our water so that we would not have to carry it and started the 3.1-mile hike back to the cars (this time on the beach). When we were almost back to the trailhead, it started to drizzle. I think we all felt that we had had a great time hiking and camping but it was now time to head home.

· Joan Rolfe of Nowell Farm Road writes, "I often pause as I drive by Valentine Farm to see the cows and enjoy the view. I take Acton Street quite often, and it's a pleasure to see one of our working farms and the animals." According to John Valentine, the calf shown above was born in late January.

2006 The Carlisle Mosquito