The Carlisle Mosquito Online

Friday, June 17, 2005


"The spring ritual of renewal" on Fiske Street

A newborn fawn nurses shortly after birth. (Photo by Kathy Henze)

Kathy Henze of 311 Fiske Street writes:

These are pictures and a story of what happened in our back yard, Sunday morning June 12, around 10:30 a.m. We've been residents for close to 20 years and have never witnessed such a sight.

A deer had been hanging around our yard since 8 a.m. that morning, walking in circles and panting. I figured it was the heat and the poor animal was in some sort of distress. It was hobbling around and when Ray came home from picking up the paper around 9 a.m., the deer tried to hobble away down our field for the woods. We thought it had possibly been hit by a car because of the way it was hobbling around.

She went to the wood line and stayed visible just under the pine trees, not walking too far into the woods. We kept an eye out just to make sure we didn't have to call the police to have it put down. I was afraid it was going off into the woods to die and we'd find it later. Well, around 10:30 a.m., Ray happened to look out the kitchen window and the deer was back again, close to the bird feeders where it had been earlier. "Get the camera!" he called because right under her was a newborn fawn. She must have come back out from the woods into the yard and given birth right there. We were just getting to see the end of the spring ritual of renewal. Maybe this was her gift to us for giving her our rhododendrons all winter long. With our schedules this past year we never did get a chance to put our deer fencing up before the winter. And all winter long there was a deer or two always munching away at them. The rhodies were almost eaten down to the ground except for those parts that were saved under the snow. I have since cut them down and they are re-growing profusely. They needed to be pruned anyway.

"Most of the time I chase off the flower-munching deer, but this time I just stood and watched...I think the mother deer just gave birth." (Photo by Philip Dumka, 307 Fiske Street, taken Sunday morning at 10:30 a.m.)

Attached are the photos I snapped off before momma and baby headed back to the woods. In all our years in Carlisle we have never witnessed such a beautiful sight. We were blessed on Sunday with the miracle of life. I know how much people in Carlisle, myself included, are angered at times by the amount of damage the deer cause to landscapes and the Lyme Disease they bring, but when you get the chance to witness such an event, then we are all truly God's creatures.

2005 The Carlisle Mosquito