Friday, May 6, 2005
Paging through Carlisle's Reports: 1920 - 1929
• School Superintendent's Report The schools were closed early in January for a period of several weeks on account of whooping-cough. The sickness of the pupils, and the deep snow which blocked the roads interfered materially with the attendance at the Highland School.
• Special Town Meeting May 31, 1921 Article 3. It was voted to sell the Town Farm, and that there be a minimum price of $10,000 placed upon it.It was unanimously voted that the Committee who had the matter in charge so far, be authorized to sell the Town Farm in any way in which they see fit, provided the Town realizes the minimum price or as much more as possible.
[The Town Poor Farm was not actually sold until 1925.]
• List of Jurors - List of persons qualified to serve as Jurors prepared by the Selectmen to be submitted to the Town for revision and acceptance at the [next] Annual Town Meeting.[The list consisted of 9 men, including 6 farmers, a clerk, a fireman and a painter.]
• Annual Town Meeting, February 12, 1923 Article 11. It was moved by James H. Wilkins that a committee of three members be appointed by the Chairman of the Meeting, to look into the matter of the advisability of providing a bathing pool near the centre of the town.The motion was adopted by a "yes" vote, 26, no, 18.
Article 16. The committee recommended that 46 acres of the Poor Farm be reserved as it now is, for a Town Forest, and let nature take care of it. The advisability of this was discussed and it was voted to accept the report of the committee as stated, and to set aside the 46 acres for a Town Forest.
• Pursuant to the Warrant, the legal voters of the Town of Carlisle met in Union Hall, Carlisle, on February 11, 1924 Article 12. It was voted that the Chair appoint a committee to look into the question of fire protection and apparatus and report at our next town meeting.
Article 19. Motion was made to vote to increase the pay of Town employees. Motion was lost.
• Report of Moth Department The Brown-tail Moth is nearly a thing of the past. The Gypsy Moth is still with us and has increased slightly within the past year.
• Report of School Superintendent May I take this opportunity to remind parents and tax payers in general that with the advent of the automobile, and the improvement in roads, we should begin to give the transportation of our pupils more serious consideration? The time may not be immediately at hand, but it is only a year or two away when, to keep up with other progressive towns, we shall find it necessary to provide for the transportation of our children in closed buses for such part of the year as it will be possible to run automobiles.
• Report of Park Commission [Spalding Field is part of an 18-acre parcel of land originally given to the town for a park. A portion of the land was later used for school construction.]
It becomes the duty of the committee in charge of Oscar Spalding Park to render to you an account of its activities for the year ending Dec. 31, 1925.
As this is the first report it may not be out of place to recall the circumstances under which the town of Carlisle acquired this tract of land.
Briefly, the town at its regular town meeting appointed a committee of three persons to investigate the desirability of the land for the purpose of a park . The first and only difficulty arose at once as to the price of the land and the committee had decided on an adverse report when Mr. Spalding swept all objections aside and gave the land outright.
Next, the consideration arose as to the non-partisan control.The representation arranged as follows: The chairman of the board of selectmen, the chairman of the school committee, the tree warden and one member appointed each year from or by each of the [then] established church organizations.
The matter of development was discussed from the start and a baseball field was decided on for the first developmental proposition. A public work day seemed the best way to make a beginning as no funds had been raised by the town. Two sub-committees were at once appointed by the commissioners, one composed of men to help lay out the park and organize and oversee the actual workthe second composed of ladies.
A call was sent out for a public work day for men, teams [of horses], or cash. The response was far beyond our expectations, roughly, there were fifty-five men, six tractors, two double teams, besides some forty dollars in cash and ten gallons of gasoline from Mr. Otterson and five gallons of tractor oil from Mr. Irvin Puffer of Bedford.
A most delicious chicken dinner was served by the ladies' committee, with assistance and donations from many of the other ladies of the town.
Briefly — September 19, 1925 will be remembered by us all as a day when Oscar Spaulding Park was a bee hive of well co-ordinated activity, when it was freely estimated that at least one thousand dollars' worth of work went into the park without an accident or other incident to mar the accomplishments of the day.
On account of the probable danger due to tractors and the use of high explosives, it was early decided to keep small children out of the park on that day. In spite of this, enthusiasm ran high among the smaller boys and it was impossible to keep them from trying to accomplish something.
On Dec. 8 a supper, play and dance was given by the ladies' committee and Bedford Woman's Community Club, the net proceeds of the supper going to the park committee, and the net proceeds of the play and dance being divided equally by the Woman's club and the park committee.
It is to be hoped that we can develop a good ball field and a tennis court as soon as possible. And that eventually the park may become a recreation and civic center worthy of its giver.
• Report of Moth Superintendent The Gypsy Moth is still a menace to our forests, public shade trees, and fruit trees. While the defoliation was general throughout the town, it was not so great as in past years.[Work included] spraying with arsenate of lead, the shade trees and shrubbery along the highway and the treating of the egg clusters with creosote. The work of scouting for these egg clusters shows that they are steadily increasing, which bids fair to a heavy defoliation in the year of 1927, if the work in this line is forced to stop.
• Report of Forest and Fire Warden Our forest fire troubles for the past year were many in the spring but the rains in the fall saved this department many calls.
My recommendation for this department will be made in conjunction with the Fire Warden's Department, which I submit in the same report. Our building fires have been slight the past year, but chimney fires have caused this department considerable trouble.
This department is greatly in need of re-organization and co-operation of the voters of the town. Fire protection has become an issue to which I trust the voters of the town will take an active interest. My recommendation for the use of these two departments is $800.
• Special Town Meeting April 29, 1926 Article 9. It was voted that the Board of Selectmen be authorized to establish a Fire Department.
Births Recorded in 1927
Jan. 11 — Robert Gendreau
Feb. 18 — Laura Patience Philbrick
Feb. 22 — Martha Lincoln Washington Anderson
July 16 — Daniel Eugene Teabo
July 30 — Illegitimate
Sept. 4 — Paul Kimball Swanson
Dec. 18 Stillborn
• Report of Board of Selectmen - It was voted at the last annual meeting to extend the street lighting system .By February 1st, 1928 there will be a total of 149 street lights burning on the streets of this Town at a cost per lamp of $14.79 per year.
At the beginning of the year a Fire Department was organized with seven members, consisting of a Chief, Assistant Chief and five men and with one exception the personnel of the Department remains the same as when appointed. Each member of the Department receives a small salary, the Chief receiving $75, Assistant Chief $30 and the five others $20 each, which salary requires the Chief to look after the Fire House and have general charge of the Department, and requires the six other members to attend the meetings, keep the equipment in order and respond to fire calls, each man receiving a per hour wage for actual service when responding to a call.
A telephone has been installed which is listed as Carlisle Fire Department with connections to the residence of the Chief and other members of the Department.
The constant addition to the fire equipment of the Town will not only conserve property and possibly life but will tend to reduce insurance rates.
• Report of Board of Assessors
88 - Number of horses assessed
399 - Cows
65 - Other cattle
154 - Swine
166 - Dwelling houses
• Report of the Middlesex County Extension Service - On the Kitchen Tour last fall the group of 50 homemakers visited the prize kitchen of Mrs. James Wilkins.
• Report of the Superintendent of Schools The toilets voted at last town meeting are a success at last. The drought brought unthought of complications, but they were surmounted; we have an adequate amount of water and the installation has been paid for. To say that we are happy at school with the proper sanitary conditions is to but state facts.
The old out-buildings should be sold and removed. This would release the most valuable play area on the school grounds
© 2005 The Carlisle Mosquito