The Carlisle Mosquito Online

Friday, April 15, 2005


Three-town police action catches conservation land burglar

It happened on April Fool's Day, but it was no joke for Stephen Dupont of Watertown, who was charged with breaking and entering in the daytime by Carlisle Police, and of breaking and entering and larceny by the Lincoln Police. Dupont, who allegedly favors conservation land for his illicit outdoor activities, will now have another chance to sample a more restrictive environment as a guest of the state.

The dominos start to fall

The story unfolds as smoothly as a row of dominoes spilling over, right in a line, one after the other. The key domino was in place at the crosswalk on Bedford Road, where Carlisle Police Officers Andy Booth and Richard Tornquist were on duty at 2:56 p.m.on the afternoon of April 1. A van pulled up and the operator stated he and his girlfriend were parked at Towle Field and in the back of his van "having a lunch break," when they heard someone trying to open the back doors of the van and later, reaching in through a half open back window to gain access. He told the officers that the person operating the white van behind him with a Lyons Enterprises sign on its side was the person who had attempted to enter his van at Towle Field.

The second domino was a BOLO or "be-on-the-lookout-for" notice sent to neighboring towns about the second van. Domino #2 fell neatly into place later that afternoon when a Concord detective reported a van corresponding to the Carlisle BOLO description was parked at that minute on Concord conservation land.

Domino #3 fell in Lincoln, where there had been a car break-in on — you guessed it — Lincoln conservation land three weeks previously. A purse with a wallet and credit cards was taken at that time. Lincoln Police knew that one of the credit cards had been used at the Victory Supermarket in Waltham, but they did not know the true identity of the person using it.

The fourth domino was set up at the Victory Supermarket and was in the form of a surveillance tape showing the person making the purchase with the stolen credit card.

Now everything came together and all the dominos started falling down: the white van and its operator, Stephen Dupont, were still sitting in the Concord conservation parking lot. An unmarked Concord cruiser arrived on the scene, followed closely by a Lincoln cruiser, also unmarked. The officers saw Dupont trying to get in the parked vehicle and stopped him as a suspicious person. They called Lyons Enterprises and received permission to search the vehicle. Police found no stolen goods, but wonder of wonders, did find the jacket that Dupont was wearing in the supermarket surveillance tape, which tied him to the Lincoln burglary and the stolen credit card he was using.

Dupont was arrested and a bail hearing was held. Bail was set at $300 cash for the Lincoln offense and $1,000 for the Carlisle charges. Dupont was held in custody at the Billerica House of Correction and released later that day when bail was paid.

With the Carlisle Police Department's history of meticulously planned, sometimes painstakingly executed stakeouts, it may be perfect April Fool's timing that this one fell into their laps, as it were, when they were on duty helping children cross the street in safety.

2005 The Carlisle Mosquito