Friday, October 3, 2003
Fire safety tips from the Carlisle Fire Chief
October is fire safety month, and Chief David Flannery has sent along these suggestions:
In a typical nighttime fire, there is a window of two to four minutes in the average home after the smoke detector sounds for the family to get out safely before heat and toxic gases make escape impossible.
To survive a fire: install and maintain smoke detectors and practice an escape plan. The following tips were supplied by Edward A. Flynn, Massachusetts Secretary of Public Safety and Stephen D. Coan, State Fire Marchal.
• Install smoke detectors on every level and outside each sleeping area.
• Test them monthly.
• Replace the battery once a year.
• Never disable a detector.
• Practice a home escape plan with the whole family twice a year.
• Plan two ways out of each room. The easy way out is the door, and the second way out might be a window.
• If you plan for a child or a senior to exit a window, make sure they can open it easily.
• If you can't get out, close the door and go to the window and signal for help. Teach children never to hide under beds or in closets.
• If you must go through smoke, crawl low. The coolest, cleanest air will be about 18 inches off the gound.
• Have a meeting place outside where everyone will meet. Be able to tell the fire department if everyone is out saafely.
• Stay out; don't go back into a burning building for anything.
• Telephone the fire department from a neighbor's house or use the fire alarm emergency box.
• Put a lid on a grease fire to smother it. Then turn off the heat. Baking soda will also work.
• Wear tight-fitting sleeves when cooking. Loose sleeves easily catch fire.
• Never throw water on a grease fire. Water will only spread the fire around.
• Never move a burning pan. You can too easily ignite your clothes or spill the fire onto someone or something else.
• Stand by your pan! Never leave cooking unattended.
• Never smoke in bed.
• Use large ashtrays with center rests so cigarettes fall into the ashtray not on the floor.
• Smokers should keep lighters on their person, not on the table or in a purse where children can find them.
• Never smoke in homes where oxygen is in use.
© 2003 The Carlisle Mosquito