Friday, May 16, 2003
• Saturday, May 3 was a big day for Carlisle second grader Alyssa Wilkes and her proud family. At the regional Special Olympics, held at Wayland High School, Alyssa ran to a second-place finish in the 100-meter event, winning the silver medal. She is now eligible to participate at state level in the Massachusetts Special Olympics, to be held at Harvard and Boston Universities on June 13 and 14. Alyssa trains for running with the recreation department in Arlington. She also keeps active with ice skating and swimming, and enjoys playing piano and reading.
• A maple syrup update — The Mosquito checked in with
Bob Hilton of Lowell Street to get a final tally on his maple-syruping
operation this season. "Our season, which started in February,
went a little later this year. It was a long winter and we went into
March," reported Hilton. "It was a good year, actually one
of the best," he continued. "Where we usually get 15 gallons
of sap, this year we got 22 gallons." Hilton also commented on
the ice which helped to preserve the sap, but at the same time made
for a lot more work.
• Ronald C. Holsinger of Old East Street, a Northeastern University student majoring in criminal justice, was named to the Dean's List for the winter quarter.
• Marta J. Ullrich of Carlisle, a Northeastern University student majoring in psychology, was named to the Dean's List for the winter quarter.
• Hannah J. Roberts of Nickles Lane, a ninth grader at Phillips Exeter Academy, has earned High Honors for the winter term.
• Karina Przyjemski of Bedford Road, a freshman at Johns Hopkins'
Krieger School of Arts and Sciences, was named to the Dean's List for
the fall semester.
• The Concord-Carlisle High School bands performed
at Ozawa Hall at Tanglewood on Mother's Day. Pictured above are CCHS
Concert Band first clarinets (left to right) Stephen Yu, Melissa
Andrews, Justin Hendrickson and David Lee, all from
Carlisle. Stephen Yu is also a violinist and as one of the winners of
Boston Virtuosi's 2003 Young Artist Competition will perform on violin
with Boston Virtuosi on Saturday, May 17, at 8 p.m. in the Great Hall
at Faneuil Hall, Boston. Yu and Mari Black of Cambridge will perform
Symphony Concertante, Op 13 by Joseph Boulogne St. Georges. (photo
© 2003 The Carlisle Mosquito