Friday, October 4, 2002
Looking for things to do?
• Harvest Day at Fruitlands will be held October 12 from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Family activities and demonstrations, hayrides and 19th-century games will be offered. Call 1-978-456-3924, ext. 235.
• Middlesex Community College is offering after-school and Saturday Academy courses in chemistry, Web publishing,small business start-up and financial planning. Call 1-800-818-3434.
• The Acton Area chapter of NOW will sponsor a film and talk about women's body images on October 8 from 7 to 9 p.m. at the Acton Library. Bring magazine ads depicting controversial body imagery to the discussion. Call 1-978-264-9065.
• The Concord Antiques Show will be held on November 1 and 2 at the Trinitarian Congregational Church on Walden Street in Concord. Show hours are 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. both days. Call 1-978-369-4837.
• The annual Harvest Fair will be held at the First Church of Christ, Congregational, at 25 The Great Road in Bedford on October 18 from 6 to 9 p.m. and on October 19 from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Crafts, foods, books and games will be offered. Call 1-781-275-7951.
• The New Song Coffeehouse will present folksingers Scott Alarik and Cheryl Hoenemeyer on October 12 at 8 p.m. Tickets are $12. Call 1-781-275-1135.
• Livingston Taylor will perform in concert on Friday, October 25 at 8 p.m. at the Emerson Umbrella, 40 Stow Street in Concord. Tickets are $100, $50 and $30; the concert is a benefit for the Concord Youth Theatre. Call 1-978-371-1482.
• Minuteman Senior Services is offering a new community education series called Caring Conversations to encourage dialogue between parents and adult children. If you would like to be notified of upcoming programs, call Cynthia Sawyer at 1-781-221-7060.
• "A World of Music," Middlesex Community College's fall 2002 concert series, opens with an afternoon of jazz by Alice Groves and Company, on October 5 at 2 p.m. in the Bedford Campus Center Student Lounge, 591 Springs Road, Bedford. The concert is free. Call 1-781-280-3923.
• Concord Family and Youth Services offers adoption information on October 8, with a free adoption playgroup from 10 to 11:30 a.m. (call Valorie at 1-978-264-3813) and a four-part Home Study workshop for pre-adoptive parents from 6:30 to 9:15 p.m. (call Mary at 1-978-264-3813 to register.)
• Folksinger Tom Smith will appear at the National Heritage Museum in Lexington on Saturday, October 12, at 2 p.m. Admission is $8 for adults and $6 for children. Call 1-781-861-6559.
• The Children's Discovery Museum in Acton will hold a parent/child experience called "Sharing Sensational Science" on October 15 from 10 to 11:30 a.m. On October 16 and 23, "Art in the Afternoon" will inspire budding artists at 3 p.m. The Science Discovery Museum will explore the "Colors of the Rainbow"on October 13 at 1 p.m. Call 1-978-264-4200.
• The Harvard Apple Festival, a fundraiser for Loaves and Fishes, Habitat for Humanity and Heifer Project International, will sell delectable soups, breads, pies and apples on the Harvard Town Common on October 12, from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Face-painters, clowns and musicians will be on hand.
© 2002 The Carlisle Mosquito