left, who lived in the Heald Homestead as a child in 1917, is
shown with Judi Pettit Vose, the most recent inhabitant.
The Friends of the Carlisle Council on Aging held its annual meeting at
the Captain Samuel Heald Homestead on Concord Street on Thursday, September
19. Approximately 45 residents and friends of Carlisle were able to view
the collection of over 2,400 artifacts of the Carlisle Historical Society
and the Town Historical Collection displayed both downstairs and upstairs
in the Heald Homestead. Larry Sorli and Charlie Forsberg from the Historical
Society were available to answer questions about the interesting displays
of the dental tools of Dr. Austin Marsh who practiced in town and the
Native American stone tools found in Carlisle. There are relics from the
Civil War collected by W. Irving Heald. Also on view is the melodeon originally
purchased by the First Religious Society in 1854. It was kept in the home
of Timothy Wilkins who brought it to church each Sunday. Cooking implements
from the 19th century, samplers and portraits are all part of this very
interesting display of Carlisle history.
Thanks go to the Carlisle Historical Society for making the displays available to the Friends of the Council on Aging, to the Carlisle Police who made the visit safe for everyone and the Carlisle Department of Public Works who helped move tables and chairs.
|Following the tour, architectural historian
Larry Sorli gave a brief history of the Homestead to those enjoying
the annual Friends of the Council on Aging luncheon.
(Photo by Mike Quayle)