The Carlisle Mosquito Online

Friday, September 20, 2002


Sara Adams weds Jason Bardzik

On July 20 Sara Adams wed Jason Bardzik at Trinity Lutheran Church in Chelmsford. Family and friends celebrated with the happy couple at the Searles Castle in Wyndham, New Hampshire. Sara is the daughter of Lois and Max Adams of Carlisle.

Sara and Jason, both New Englanders, met in Key Largo, Florida by lucky coincidence four years ago. Sara, CCHS '91, is a bartender at Applebees in Tewksbury and Jason is a businessman in Lowell. Following their honeymoon in Mexico, they will live in their 1790 farmhouse in Pelham, New Hampshire.

The wedding was one year in the planning. The weather was not planned but the sun came out one hour before the ceremony and there was a full moon that night. A good time was had by all.


Danielle Driscoll to wed M. Mateo Millet

Mr. and Mrs. Neil William Driscoll of Carlisle and Chatham, Massachusetts announce the engagement of their daughter, Danielle Marie Driscoll, to M. Mateo Millett, son of Elizabeth Slate Millett of New Lebanon, New York. The bride-to-be is a 1995 graduate of Concord-Carlisle High School and a 1999 graduate of Colby College, where she received her bachelor's degree in Spanish and Education. Ms. Driscoll pursued graduate studies in Madrid, Spain with Middlebury College and received a master's degree in Spanish in 2000. She is teaching Spanish at Framingham High School Her fiancé, Mr. Millett, is a 1991 graduate of New Lebanon High School and a 1995 graduate of Tufts University, where he majored in Economics and Spanish and minored in Latin American Studies. He also received his master's degree in Economics from Tufts in 1997. Mr. Millett is an analyst at Avian Research, LLC in Boston, and a part-time coffee farmer in Ocotal, Nicaragua. A June 2003 wedding in Vermont is planned.

Evelyn Duren Remembered as "A force of life"

Carlisle has suddenly grown poorer, but not as gauged by statistics or seen by the eye. The white clapboard farmhouse at 650 Bedford Road has lost its resident of sixty-six years. On September 11, cook, baker and matriarch, at nearly 88 years of age, Evelyn Duren passed away at Lahey Clinic after suffering her final stroke five days before at Life Care Center in Billerica. Trust Evelyn to hang on to life until a date that we cannot forget, just as many of us shall never forget her. She preserved in her outlook and memory a way of life that Carlisle shall never see again.

It was from Westford to Carlisle that Sam Duren brought his bride in 1934 after a three-year courtship of dance-contests and trips to Revere Beach on the trolley. They lived in the town center for two years while their new $3,000 house was being built, on land the Duren family presented to them upon their marriage. They could not afford a fireplace. Evelyn chose to fill the house with new furniture rather than take a honeymoon trip. But even in those days of Depression, Evelyn's innate generosity prevailed.

Although Evelyn and Sam soon had four boys to raise, they always made room at the dinner table for frequent unexpected guests, especially children. She has explained that although money was scarce in the years of the Depression and ration-book days of World War II, they could rely on the food they raised themselves. Besides, "We had plenty of food, warm clothes, and love — that's all!" she once said.

Evelyn also was generous with her gifts as cook and baker, moving from running a popular roadside stand to cooking at Valleyhead Hospital (now Assurance Technology) in Carlisle, then Belknap House in Concord, a home for the elderly and neighborhood families. Above all, she created spectacular wedding cakes, sold delicately-wrought sugar decorations to local bakeries, and shared her baking secrets with others in evening classes. Finally, up until her last two years of failing health and loss of mobility, she cooked for the priests at St. Michael's Catholic Church in Bedford, a job that accorded new purpose to her life. Fr. Sheehan, who officiated at the interment at Green Cemetery in Carlisle, described Evelyn as "a force for life," who would tell jokes that "made us turn purple with laughter" — many of which he dared not repeat. "She was bossy with a twinkle in her eye," he said.

Although her youth was of the small, rural worlds of Westford and Carlisle, and she made the trip to Boston less than a dozen times in her life, she was connected to the present, and proud of her independence. Father Sheehan described her, dinner preparations completed ahead of schedule, getting into her car and "roaring out of the rectory parking lot" in her rush to get home and watch "Judge Judy." Even after she grew too infirm to drive, she was proud that she still had her driver's license and had a perfect driving record — even if, as she told her last roommate at Life Care, "it was because they never caught me!"

Evelyn knew her share of sorrows, too. Part of Evelyn could never recover from the loss of her stillborn baby, and her nine-month-old baby boy who died from mosquito-borne encephalitis. In 1971 her Sam passed away after suffering an aneurism. With the passage of time, her friends followed. Perhaps that is why, following old custom, one day she stood on the front steps, homemade pie in hand, welcoming our family to Carlisle. We remained friends ever since.

Our friendship continued after her partial paralysis, and her tenure in the nursing home. There her strength and resilience were matched only by her sense of humor, that which shone like a beacon during her last months in that challenging environment. In true generous Evelyn fashion, she would insist upon sharing her last meal with me from her hospital tray.

Hers were gifts of strength, generosity, and love, especially for her sons David, Everett, Eddy, Ken, their wives, her nine grandchildren and five great-grandchildren, her nieces and nephews and, us, her friends. That is why, should we make it to heaven, I would not be surprised to find her on its front steps, waiting for us with a pie.

Born in Westford, Massachusetts, on October 8, 1915, she was the daughter of the late Willard and Ruth (Miller) Millis. Mrs. Duren was a cook at St. Michael's Rectory in Bedford and a member of the Order of Eastern Star, Ayer (Ida McInley order) for over fifty years. She had been a resident of Carlisle since 1934.

Mrs. Duren was the wife of the late Samuel Duren, and is survived by four sons, Samuel E. of Reading, Kenneth W. of Littleton, Everett M. of Center Harbor, New Hampshire, and David R. of Carlisle; two brothers, Willard Millis of Harvard and Frank Millis of Ayer; two sisters, Mildred Metcalf and Marjorie Bundy of Westford, nine grandchildren, five great-grandchildren and several nieces and nephews. She was predeceased by her brother Everett Millis.

Funeral services were private.

Memorial contributions may be made to the Carlisle Firefighters Relief Association, P.O. Box 74, Carlisle, Massachusetts 01741.

Arrangements were in the care of Bedford Funeral Home, Bedford, Massachusetts.

James L. Schubert Worked for Bates Dairy Farm

James L. Schubert, 68, formerly of Carlisle, died Monday, August 26, 2002 at his home following a long illness. He was the husband of Jean Schubert, the daughter of Ruth Wilkins, the author of Carlisle: Its history and Heritage.

Mr. Schubert was born in Fort Scott, Kansas, on September 17, 1933, the son of the late Ira and Doris (Likely) Schubert. Prior to his illness, Mr. Schubert was employed as a truck driver. Mr. Schubert was a member of St. Paul Lodge in Ashby, Lowell Order of Scottish Rite, and the Aleppo Temple.

In addition to his wife, he is survived by two daughters, Juanita Evins in Tennessee, and Jody Richardson of Washington; six brothers, four grandchildren; five great-grandchildren, and three stepdaughters, including Linda Olsen and her husband Stephen of Concord, as well as many nieces and nephews. He was also the brother of the late Ruth Keith.

A Masonic service will be held on September 22 at the St. Paul Lodge, Ashby, Massachusetts.

Frank A. Record A former, longtime resident of Russell Street

Frank A. Record, 85, of Peterborough, New Hampshire, died at his home on September 8. He was a resident of Carlisle for almost 30 years before moving to New Hampshire in 1996. He is survived by his wife of 56 years, Lucille C. "Ronnie" Record, two daughters, Jocelyn D. of Belmont, Massachusetts, Judith A.R.McKinney of Geneva, New York and a son, Jeffrey S. of Salt Lake City, Utah and five grandchildren. A memorial service will be held at the Union Congregational Church, 38 Concord Street in Peterborough at 2 p.m. on Saturday, September 21. In lieu of flowers, memorial gifts may be made to Union Church or to the RiverMead Community Fund, 50 RiverMead Rd., Peterborough, NH 03458.

2002 The Carlisle Mosquito