The Carlisle Mosquito Online

Friday, October 19, 2001


Boards explore food service permit for Sleeper Room

Tom Raftery and Charles Forsberg of the Carlisle Elderly Housing Association (CEH) and Liz Jewell of the Carlisle Council on Aging (COA) appeared at the October 9 meeting of the Carlisle Board of Health (BOH) to discuss the requirements for a food service permit for the Sleeper Room kitchen at the elderly housing complex on Church Street. The popular community room was closed last month to all food service as well as other community use pending a clearer understanding of health regulations and insurance issues.

Raftery, after looking at the complex application, felt that "we don't think our group needs it" but he admitted confusion. He explained that the CEH was funded under the US department of agriculture rural development (USDA-RD) and didn't have a budget for insurance to become a certified food provider.

Alternatively, the COA could itself apply for a food service permit for the use of the CEH facilities. Any events or functions sponsored by the COA are covered by the town's insurance plan.

Reached for comment on Wednesday, Jewell confirmed that the COA has filed an application with the Carlisle Board of Health for a food service license for the Sleeper Room kitchen. BOH agent Linda Fantasia explained that the board has asked the Concord Public Health Administration to inspect the kitchen and make recommendations. The board expects to discuss and vote on the application at its next meeting on Tuesday, October 23. If the application is approved the COA will need to meet again with the owners of the facility, the elderly housing association, to request their permission to use the kitchen. The next meeting of the Carlisle Elderly Housing Association is scheduled for Monday, October 29. This meeting will be open to the public between 7:30 and 8:00 p.m.

2001 The Carlisle Mosquito