Friday, April 13, 2001
CCHS agrees to $200,000 budget cut
The Concord-Carlisle Regional School Committee (RSC), which had previously refused to reduce its proposed FY02 budget, faced a big dilemma at its meeting on Tuesday night. The clock is ticking down to the Concord and Carlisle Town Meetings, and the proposed CCHS budget was rejected by the selectmen and finance committees in both towns.
Both towns will face a Proposition 2-1/2 override to fund the high school, even if the proposed budget is reduced. The Carlisle Board of Selectmen has placed two budget articles on the Carlisle Warrant, requiring budget cuts of approximately $200,000 (override 1a) or $350,000 (override 1b). As of Tuesday night, Concord selectmen had not finalized their warrant articles but were expected to prepare two override options, as well.
RSC member Fred Wersan attempted to initiate a compromise, recommending that the committee accept the $200,000 budget reduction suggested by Carlisle. "We have to be concerned if even our strongest supporters are asking what are you thinking?" he said. Carlisle RSC representative Cindy Nock said that Carlisle believes that this reduction would not seriously impact the students. After further discussion, members voted to accept the $200,000 cut.
© +YEAR+ The Carlisle Mosquito