The Carlisle Mosquito Online

Friday, March 16, 2001


On March 17, 1969, the day my aunt came home from the hospital with her first baby, my grandmother packed a 20-pound turkey, five pounds of mashed potatoes, squash, turnips and stuffing into the car and set off. The distance was not far to drive, but my grandmother lived at the top of the hill and my aunt lived at the bottom and so she set off in the car. Although she was not a very experienced driver, my grandmother knew that to get to the bottom of the hill all she had to do was put the car in neutral and cruise down, tapping the brakes now and again. Well, as soon as she began to descend the hill and started tapping the brakes, she found out that the brakes were gone and there was no way to stop. She didn't panic, but she didn't come up with a workable solution either. What finally stopped her was the plate glass window of the coffee shop at the bottom of the hill. The police arrived, of course, and were in a dither about the poor old woman and whether she was hurt or in shock. "I'm sorry, lads," she said, "but I can't be talking to you now. My daughter's home with the new baby and I must be getting to her now." And she picked up the pot from the back seat of the car and set off down the road on foot to deliver the food...more

The freezing nights and sunny, warm days in February and March start the sap flowing in the maple trees of Carlisle. George Bishop of Judy Farm Road has tapped the trees on his property. He has driven a spout into each maple tree, from which a bucket has been hung to collect the dripping sap. The buckets of sap are collected and the sap is boiled down to remove the water and produce the desired maple flavor and color. The delicate flavor of the syrup depends mainly on the tree's chemistry changes due to temperature changes during the sap season. For cooking and baking purposes, the dark amber syrup is preferred for its stronger flavor...more

Third graders at the Carlisle school had more reason than other students to be thankful for the five-day weekend last week. Two snow days and a professional day meant that the due date for their Native American projects was postponed and they had plenty of snowbound hours to keep the glue guns burning and the clay pots cooking. The results, on display at the annual Native American Museum in third grade classrooms on March 9, were a wonder -- a five-foot-tall totem pole with beautifully painted masks of birds and humans, a tepee camp with real flowing water, a Navaho art gallery complete with a "Be right back" sign and enough clay figures, drying fish, pueblos, igloos and witus to sink a hand-carved canoe...more

Boys' and girls' teams win league championships...more

2001 The Carlisle Mosquito