The Carlisle Mosquito Online

Friday, March 9, 2001


Six hours without power, two feet of snow, but no awesome blizzard

The town lost power and the police switchboard fielded over 400 calls as approximately two feet of snow, accompanied by gusty winds, fell during the Monday and Tuesday snowstorm. Carlisle and Concord-Carlisle schools were closed on Monday and Tuesday amid predictions of "the storm of the century." However, the big storm of '01 was relatively easy on Carlisle. Some branches came down, there were reports of arcing electric wires, cable TV was out most of Tuesday evening, but nothing occurred that a bunch of Yankees with jugs of water, kerosene lights, candles and shovels couldn't handle. The Massachusetts Emergency Management Agency (MEMA) had given the police department an early alert before the storm hit and they were ready for a full response and adequately staffed to meet whatever emergencies developed.

Power outages began early

The first power outage was reported on Tophet Road at 7:10 a.m on Tuesday and NStar was advised. At 11:25 the whole town lost electricity when the main line went out. NStar crews worked on the problem and by dinner time power had been restored throughout town. The top of a telephone pole came down on Milne Cove Road around 11 a.m. which may have caused some of the intermittent phone problems residents experienced during the storm.

Safety hazards

Falling limbs and other tree damage created hazardous situations throughout town. DPW was advised of trees that had fallen across the roadway and the fire department checked on arcing wires until NStar could respond. When DPW's Gary Davis was asked what his crews had to do during the storm, he said "Plowing, plowing, plowing and then some more plowing." DPW also picked up some of the broken tree limbs and got trees out of the roadway and sanded where it was necessary. The conditions were very slippery overnight and one of the DPW sanders got stuck. Fortunately, with residents heeding warnings and staying off the roads, no significant storm-related accidents or injuries were reported. By Wednesday there was just cleanup to do and the job of finding a place to stack the additional snow that is predicted for this weekend.

2001 The Carlisle Mosquito