The Carlisle Mosquito Online

Friday, October 13, 2000

Engagement Brian Driscoll to wed Elizabeth Morris

The parents of Brian Driscoll of Charlestown and Elizabeth Morris of Norwood have announced the couple's engagement.

Brian is the son of Neil and Jeannine Driscoll of Indian Hill and Chatham. Brian graduated from Concord-Carlisle High School and Denison University and is the New England District Sales Manager at Nantucket Nectars.

Elizabeth is the daughter of Mary Morris and the late Bill Morris of Eustis, Maine. She is currently an IT Recruiter at Intepros Consulting in Waltham, Massachusetts.

A June 16, 2001 wedding is planned at Sugarloaf USA in Carrabassett Valley, Maine.

Local resident has role in first presidential debate

Michael Benfield of Fiske Street was at work Tuesday night October 3, at the University of Massachusetts-Boston campus when the first presidential debate between Vice President Al Gore and Govenor George W. Bush took place. Benfield is a media specialist who manages two auditoriums in the science building on the UMass campus. One of Benfield's auditoriums, which seats 500 people, was hooked up to the Clark Gym where the actual debate was taking place. The Mosquito asked Benfield to tell us what it was like at work that day, offering audio-visual and computing services as part of this important first debate of the 2000 presidential campaign.

"Just getting to work that day was an experience," said Benfield. "There were five or six police and marked cars at each intersection. Because of security, the secret service had taken over the whole facility, including the entire peninsula off of Morrissey Blvd. Everything was shut down: the university, the Kennedy Library, and the archives," said Benfield. When he went into work in the middle of the day, it was the first time he remembers not knowing anyone. "I know most of the police on campus. When I pass through the gate they say 'Hi, Mike,' and I pass in and park." On Tuesday, a whole new set of rules were in place.

At the first check point, just before the information booth, Benfield was pulled over and asked why he was there. He said he was working for media services on the debate. "They asked if that was a company. They had no clue. When they asked where I was going and I replied 'the Science Center,' they asked, 'Where is that?' I showed them my identification card and badge that I picked up on Friday," continued Benfield.

At the next check point, 20 to 30 yards away, Benfield was told to go to the kiosk, another 20 yards ahead. At this point he was asked to get out of his car. Security forces opened up everything, said Benfieldthe hood, the back, inside the car. While he waited he noticed a few cars driving straight through. "They must have been important people or people known by the Secret Service," he observed. When he was finally able to enter the garage, another security person approached him and asked more specifically what he was doing. Once he explained he was responsible for the live feed into the Science Center, he was allowed to park in a designated area for the evening. "Security was in my face," stressed Benfield. "It was so tight I couldn't get to work unless they said it was okay. It was scary. I felt like I was in a police state."

It cost two million dollars to hold the debate at UMass-Boston, and the state had to pay half of it, said Benfield. "I'm angry about that. They closed the school down for two days, and the faculty has only so much time before mid-December to get their information across to the students. The tremendous amount of money and energy that went into this was incredible, and then it all had to be torn down." Benfield said no money went to the university, instead it all went to the non-UMass services and equipment used for the debate.

During the debate, it was Benfield's job to see that everything on the technical end workedthe wires, the sound, the volumefor the audience listening to the debate in the science auditorium.

After the debate, Benfield made his way to the media office in another building. Everything had shut down by 11 p.m. when he asked if he could go home. People in his auditorium were told not to leave because there were still demonstrators out on the streets. It was not until 12:30 a.m. that people in the auditorium were allowed to leave and board the buses to take them to their cars parked a distance away from the campus. Once Benfield got into his car and headed for home, it was slow going on the side streets along the old housing project and Bayside Exhibition Center. It wasn't until he reached Carlisle at 1:30 a.m. that his day had ended. By then, the pundits had begun debating who had won the debate.

Liteplo named news editor

The Mosquito is pleased to announce that former Mosquito reporter Maya Liteplo of Curve Street has been named news editor. Liteplo, who is a longtime resident of Carlisle, will assume her new duties in November.


Amy Greer weds Ryan Lehman

Rev. and Mrs. Keith G. Greer of River Road are very pleased to announce the marriage of their daughter Amy Elizabeth of Carlisle to Ryan Kent Lehman, son of Mr. and Mrs. Ray B. Lehman of Trappe, Pennsylvania. The bride's father and grandfather co-officiated at the ceremony held at the Trinitarian Congregational Church in Concord on September 23, followed by an outdoor garden reception at the Clock Barn on Bedford Road in Carlisle.

The couple will work in their respective fields of agriculture and nursing in Pennsylvania upon their return from a honeymoon in Maine and Vermont. They wish to thank all of their family and friends who so lovingly contributed to their lives and to this day.

2000 The Carlisle Mosquito