The Carlisle Mosquito Online

Friday, September 15, 2000


Season opens for Concord-Carlisle division 2 girls under-14

Concord-Carlisle promises to have an exciting season based on Saturday's game against Westford. Despite a 9 a.m. starting time and a mix-up that sent almost half the C-C team to the wrong field, C-C dominated the first twenty minutes of the game.

A terrific corner kick by Elise Lehotsky, redirected on a header by Alison Probolus, was barely saved by the Westford goalie. Defenders Kathryn Bailey and Elizabeth Hollingsworth repeatedly steered the Westford attack into the corners, and defender Sarah Franklin blasted the ball back up field any time an attack came up the center. Jessie Weinstein fed the ball forward from midfield, keeping play in the Westford end. Repeated attacks by Samantha Charm and Lindsay Burton kept Westford scrambling, but C-C just couldn't find the opening in the net.

Playing with only one substitute to Westford's six wore the team down. At 23 minutes in the half, a melee to the right of the C-C goal squirted a low ball past goalie Sarah Comerford to give Westford the lead. With ten minutes remaining in the half, the rest of the C-C team arrived and rallied the defense. The score at the half didn't reflect the play, as C-C had 8 shots on net to Westford's 4.

Westford came out hard and fast in the second half, scoring at one minute on a high looper over the goalie's head. C-C continued to fight, with Jill McElligot and Sarabeth Henderson breaking up Westford's attackers. Forward Emily Cote had several big rushes up the right and near goals on sharp crosses. C-C never gave up and their confidence was rewarded at 24 minutes in the half when Sarah Comerford took a bouncing pass on the left and slammed it home for the C-C team's first goal.

Westford kept pushing, but mid-fielders Marie Benkley and Ashley McManama frustrated the Westford forwards. Finally, at 30 minutes, Sarah Comerford took an upfield pass, dodged a Westford defender, faked a shot, drew the goalie to the left and rifled a left-footed kick into the far side of the net.

With five minutes to go, both teams wanted a win, and there was plenty of action on the field. Second-half goalie Hadley Meenan came out of the net to challenge a Westford breakaway and preserve the 2-2 tie.

2000 The Carlisle Mosquito