Friday, June 23, 2000
Update on Gleason Library operations
On Saturday, June 17, the Gleason Public Library closed its doors at 872 Westford Streeta location that has served as its temporary home for over a year. During the next few weeks, the staff will complete the packing of books, desks, filing cabinets, and office supplies that were used at the temporary site. These materials, along with the contents of the three tractor trailers, housing much of the library's collection of older fiction and nonfiction, will then be transported to the new Gleason Library.
Renovation and expansion of the library's permanent home at 22 Bedford Road is now in its final phase. Carpeting is being laid and metal shelving installed; new telecommunications equipment and computers are being delivered and connected; and work is being completed on the building's finishing touchesthe millwork, window shades, lighting and interior paint. The library's reopening date is dependent on completion of this unfinished work, as well as the transfer of books and materials from the Carlisle Institute.
Materials checked out from the Gleason Library up to two weeks prior to the closing have been given an extended due date of August 15. However, they may be returned at any time in the bookdrop located at the Carlisle Institute. As the transition to 22 Bedford Road proceeds, a bookdrop will be made available there.
Reading journals are still available for those who would like to keep track of their reading during the coming weeks. Each journal has been individually stamped with an antique embosser which commemorates the original dedication of the Gleason Public Library on May 13, 1896. While they last, journals will be available just inside the library door at the Carlisle Institute between the hours of 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. Lost and found items will also be placed in the hallway.
Kay Edelberg is a librarian at the Gleason Public Library.
© 2000 The Carlisle Mosquito