The Carlisle Mosquito Online

Friday, April 14, 2000


Strong winds gave Carlisle a shake over the weekend

Carlisle emergency personnel were running from one hot spot to another on April 8 and 9 as gusts of wind swept permit fires out of control and toppled limbs on the roadway. By the end of the weekend, most of Carlisle's on-duty personnel had gotten into the action in one way or another.

Toppled pole closes Kimball's

Several calls were received about 4:15 p.m. on Saturday to report a telephone pole down, loose wires and a downed transformer at Kimball's Ice Cream stand on Bedford Road. The area was secured with yellow caution tape and people moved away from the area. The transformer was just a few feet above the ground and leaking. Boston Edison workmen secured the area and Clean Harbor cleaned up leakage around the transformer. Kimball's was able to reopen later in the afternoon. Without electricity, they had to resort to using a generator, which served until Bell Atlantic replaced the pole on Sunday.

At 1:30 p.m. that same afternoon, a permit fire was out of control on Stearns Street and then, less than an hour later, while the Carlisle Fire Department was still coping with it, Concord called for mutual aid to help with a brush fire on Annursnac Road at the Concord Line. At 3:40 p.m., a caller reported that a service pole to a house on Foss Way was leaning on a tree and causing a fire; fire equipment was tied up there until almost 7 p.m. While firemen were still on Foss Way, just before 5 p.m., a Cross Street caller reported a pole arcing against a tree which was burning and equipment remained at the scene until almost 8 p.m.

On Sunday at 9 a.m., a small outside fire was reported at the Greenough Farm estate; this fire was started by a smoldering tree after a possible lightning strike and the vehicle was back in the station by 10 a.m.

While fire crews were running after fires, the department of public works (DPW) was taking care of fallen tree limbs. At 2:30 p.m. on Saturday, a tree blocking the roadway at Lowell Street and Proctor Road was removed and 20 minutes later DPW was notified of a tree in the roadway at Heald Road and South Street. At 4:30 p.m. there was a report of a tree down and partially blocking the roadway on Peter Hans Road. Sunday morning, DPW was advised of a tree in the roadway at Lowell Street and North Road, and they removed a large limb dangling over Concord Street at 10:50 Sunday morning.

In addition to the fires, there were two power outages reported, one on Tophet Road at 3 p.m. Saturday and the previously mentioned outage at Kimball's later that afternoon.

Advice on open burning

Carlisle fire chief Robert Koning said in a telephone interview earlier this week that "it helps tremendously" if residents who plan to finish their open burning before the May I deadline follow the regulations. Some of the brush fires were caused by permit fires that started out under control and then "the wind took it." His final caution was to be very sure that the fire is doused and out because a gust of wind could ignite a lingering ember.

2000 The Carlisle Mosquito