The Carlisle Mosquito Online

Friday, March 26, 1999


The Names and Faces You Need to Know When Applying for a Permit at Town Hall

When a Carlisle resident needs to make changes to his house, his lot, or their use, he needs permits from the town. For Carlisle residents or landowners, the process of getting the necessary permits can be relatively simple, or complex, depending on the nature of the plans and the land.

Building inspector

Six town offices or boards, all located in the Carlisle Town Hall, may be involved in obtaining a permit. Usually the process starts out with a visit to the town building inspector Bob Koning on the second floor. He is the one you must contact if you want to subdivide your land, add on to your house, install a swimming pool, or do other various things to your property. He can tell you whether you will need to talk to other town boards.

Board of Health

You may need to talk to Linda Fantasia, agent for the board of health, about Title 5 regulations, septic systems, wells, and the impact of any new additions to your home on your septic system.

Conservation commission

If your lot includes wetlands, Katrina Proctor, secretary to the conservation commission, must be contacted. Any work within 100 feet of a wetland, such as clearing, landscaping, grading, building, or dumping, requires an environmental permit from the ConsCom. Extensive tree-cutting anywhere may also require a permit from ConsCom.

Planning board

Planning board assistant George Mansfield is next on your list if you wish to subdivide your larger piece of land into one or more additional building lots. Approval of the planning board is needed for "approval not required" layouts, subdivisions, common driveways, conservation clusters, accessory apartments, and senior residential open space clusters.

Board of appeals

The board of appeals secretary Judy Johnson helps you deal with special permits for specific uses or variances from the town's zoning bylaws.

Board of assessors

Rena Swezey, administrative assessor to the board of assessors, establishes property values. She reviews abatements and applications for the board. She also handles vehicle abatements. She is out in the field evaluating all Carlisle property. Swezey is assisted by Melissa Stamp.

Town clerk

Last, but not least, is the town clerk Sarah Andreassen and assistant to the town clerk Irene Blake. The clerk distributes and receives applications for the board of appeals, and certifies their decisions. She can sell you a copy of the town's zoning bylaws or she'll let you read a copy in the town offices.

The town clerk is also the one to see for the following forms or licenses: the "DBA" (doing busisness as) certificates which are required by the state for any individual who has a business in town under a name other than the person's name; marriage licenses, birth certificates, death certificates; hunting, fishing and dog licenses.

The town clerk is in charge of voter registration and absentee ballots. Town bylaws, trail maps and street lists may also be purchased from the town clerk.

Although you must come before a town board to explain your request, that meeting or hearing usually comes at the end of the process. The process begins in the town offices, where town employees of the various boards are there to help you sort out what it is you need to do.

This article was written with information supplied by Mosquito photographer Midge Eliassen and the "Town of Carlisle's Homeowner's/Landowner's Guide to Obtaining a Permit."

1999 The Carlisle Mosquito